Providing 20 community Cocoa fermentation and drying centers to address, capability gap, labour shortages, cash flow issues, and to raise quality and the value of Cocoa produced.
Activity 1: Select, socialize and prepare way-of-working in target villages in Kolaka Timur, Kolaka Utara and Kolaka (Sulawesi Tenggara),
Activity 2: Construct quality Fermentation and Drying, similar to designs in the pictures below, depending on the local situations.
Activity 3: To train and develop operators for the proper post harvesting methods required to produce quality of Cocoa. (participatory needs oriented training and socialization)
Activity 4: develop the local logistics and commercial infrastructure to enable streamlined selling of wet Cocoa beans.
Activity 5: M & E
The benefits are:
- Quality control and proper post-harvest fermentation for quality Cocoa;
- Faster cash income for growers, from wet bean purchases;
- Overcoming labour issues that cause resistance to ferment Cocoa
- Efficient use of assets and resources employed for fermenting and drying Cocoa
- As more farmers get encouraged by the better returns the industry will grow and in-turn lower atmospheric CO2
- Higher prices for Cocoa beans and premium returns from the fermented Cocoa sales returned to the Project and community to further develop nurseries, infrastructure and inputs for sustainable agriculture.
- Villages develop stronger independence, and improved economies
- Working under-cover and reduced time outdoors for better OHS in fermenting and drying Cocoa beans.